Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index Box Elder Wildlife Federation
Sports Supporting Conservation, Registration required for entry, please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheap 45 Pistol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index -> Chuck's B-Log
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuckshoun
Wilderness Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Cheap 45 Pistol Reply with quote

I read the reviews of the High Standard M1911 "GI" pistol, and thought to myself that nobody could make a pistol so cheap that shot like the reviews wrote about. So, what else to do, but go buy one, and try it out.

Well, for one thing, it doesn't like lead bullets. OK, that is easy to solve -- buy a box of WWB 230 FMJ at Wally World, and try it. Well, shooting with one hand, like I always do at a range, I found that it does what the reviewers say. I shot at a bullseye target, and at a silhouette target at 25 feet, and got the groups I expected from my Springfield. OK, what next? I had problems shooting black sights against a black target, so I made a blue cross with my computer, and shot at it. It's the same cross I discussed in earlier BLOGS, except this one was a medium blue. I got 6 shots out of ten in a one-inch circle, the others due to my one-hand shooting system. Now, for 400 bucks, six shots in one inch at 25 feet just ain't too bad, IMHO. However, the group was one inch to the left, so I moved the rear sight 0.021 inch to the right with my handy-dandy sight mover I got from Brownells, and tomorrow I'll see if I can get that one-inch group in the center of the cross. Let's wait and see.

I think that there are so many 45ACP pistols, including the M1911 models on the market today, that it is a real chore to pick one. So, again, set out what your mission is in having a 45 ACP pistol, and get one that will perform your mission. If price is an issue, try the High Standard. $410 bucks for a bunch of fun isn't a bad price. By the way, the cheap "GI" magazines work fine in the pistol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index -> Chuck's B-Log All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: