Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index Box Elder Wildlife Federation
Sports Supporting Conservation, Registration required for entry, please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mouse Gun Cases

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index -> Everything Reloading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuckshoun
Wilderness Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Mouse Gun Cases Reply with quote

I used to just load the cases after running them through my sizer, and trimming for length. Then I read a book, that said I should trim neck thickness, so I spent a bundle on tools. Guess what? That was the worse decision I ever made. I got the lowest score at Perry I have ever gotten, all because of neck thickness trimming. It made me an ardent advocate of : (a) stay way from Winchester brass, and (b) use Remington brass, and DON"T FOOL WITH NECK THICHNESS VARIATIONS. I'll go back to just plain cases and shoot then the way they are (Length trimming excepted). It always worked with the .308.
OldBear
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: No Neck Trimming? Reply with quote

Wow, that's a big deviation from the "theoretical", but coming from Chuck I have to give it serious consideration. As for his comparison between Winchester and Remington brass, I have to say the last batch of Winchester I got were about as uniform as mill-run rocks in the bottom of a stream. On top of that, Winchester's reply to my query was that they were "made to industry standards", and "you might have to trim some"..... Duhhhh, now, why would you want to trim brass that was already too short for the standard, and a full .007 shorter than the standard calibre chamber? Beats me, but then I haven't spent a lot of time trying to think it through....
Was trying to find some Norma brass but it's about as scarce as hen's teeth apparently. As soon as I find some of Chuck's Remington brass I'll build a box of that and see how uniform it comes out of the bag.
chuckshoun
Wilderness Guide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Trimming casenecks Reply with quote

I was trimming the neck thickness to obtain a consistent thickness. The case length got trimmed usually only after firing, when the case had stretched. My thread is about the thickness, not the length. And about the large vatiation in thickness of the Winchester cases. Don't confuse the two terms.
chuckshoun
Wilderness Guide

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thing since I have switched to 45 ACP shooting. The brand of cases doesn't affect the accuracy, according to the Precision Pistol shooters web page, and other sources I've read. So, I have beed having more fun shooting and more fun loading. Now if I can just get those darn things to poke holes all in the black at 50 and 25 yards!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index -> Everything Reloading All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: