Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index Box Elder Wildlife Federation
Sports Supporting Conservation, Registration required for entry, please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unprimed Brass - Quality Control

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index -> Everything Reloading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldBear
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Unprimed Brass - Quality Control Reply with quote

A few weeks ago I bought a pack of Winchester brass and just recently got around to sorting it out for case preparation. In mic'ing the case lengths, I found that about the same amount were .04 short of the calibre standard as there were about .05 too long. I wrote to Winchester to ask how to prepare the "too short" ones for first time load, since there was no way (except perhaps once-fired) to get them out to standard length where the case could be further prepared for target use. Of course, I figured I could trim the ones that were too long, but how about the ones that were too short? Well, Winchester finally answered back and said their brass was all manufactured to "industry standards", and that perhaps I would have to trim some. ....... "Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, what is the reasoning behind trimming casings that are already too short.....?" It's like my Dad used to say; "You cut that board three times now, and it's still too short!"
Anyway, perhaps it's time to check out another source of brass that may be just a tad closer to the so-called "industry standards" than the package of Winchester unprimed that I'm apparently stuck with.
In the meanwhile, I'll just burn some old ones, getting the neck concentric with the case, then use those once-fired cases to prepare for target use.
Checked Cabella's and they don't have Norma brass in my calibre.
Anyone else have any experience with nonstandard brass, or know of a more uniform case source than Winchester? Laughing
chuckshoun
Wilderness Guide

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had good luck with Winchester brass for my .308 WIN target rifle back when I didn't know better. My experience with it for the Mouse Gun has lead me away from Winchester for the mouse gun. If I do get into shooting it again, I will do some serious brass evaluation, and stay away from neck tthickness work and all that stuff. If the factory can't make it right, I'm not going to waste my time diddling with it. Length trimming, now that's a necessary thing.
I have been using Remington-Peters brass with my 45 Auto, and am pleased with it. Haven't tried the .308 though --I've still got a bunch of Winchester that will shoot OK (as long as I leave it alone). Of course the .308 isn't as sensitive to neck trimming as the .223. In fact I just trim .308's for length anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index -> Everything Reloading All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: