Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index Box Elder Wildlife Federation
Sports Supporting Conservation, Registration required for entry, please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loading Black Powder Cartridges

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index -> Everything Reloading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeftySlack06@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Loading Black Powder Cartridges Reply with quote

I am now using several different loading processes to find the one I think is best suited for my Colt/Walkers with conversion cylinders.

Is there anyone else currently loading BP cartridges who would give me their two-cents worth on the subject?

Lefty Slack
OldBear
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Loading Black Powder Cartridges Reply with quote

LeftySlack06@hotmail.com wrote:
I am now using several different loading processes to find the one I think is best suited for my Colt/Walkers with conversion cylinders.

Is there anyone else currently loading BP cartridges who would give me their two-cents worth on the subject?

Lefty Slack

You're way ahead of me; i'm still working with 30gr 777 behind a ball in my 1858 Army replica. But, boy, there must be something illegal about it cause it's so darn much fun.

Did find out one thing though about my two .50cal smokepoles. One is a sidelock with 1:48 twist, the other is an inline with 1:27 twist. Last weekend I tried pushing ball through the inline in front of 90gr 777 and was all over the target at 125 yds. Was kind of confused, as the older sidelock with 1:48 twist had ball in neat groups at prior shoots. Come to find out, the ball doesn't have sufficient grab on the riflings and so can't follow the fast twist under heavy powder loads and shaves itself over the riflings instead of getting the spin. So will save the ball for the sidelock with the 1:48 twist, and use the inline for longer projectiles that grab the riflings and get a good spin on their way out. Got the lead furnace out tonight to make some projectiles for the inline, have a Lee 320gr mold. Gotta get a mold for ball though.
(edit) Now i read that you can shoot ball in a fast twist barrel by reducing the powder charge for the ball. So it goes slower, allowing it to grab the riflings instead of scouring past them. This reference mentions 30gr FFG, which is about 20 grains shy of what i'd use in the slower twist barrel, but identical to what i use in the 1858 New Army Buffalo Remington replica.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index -> Everything Reloading All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: