Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index Box Elder Wildlife Federation
Sports Supporting Conservation, Registration required for entry, please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1858 New Army "Buffalo"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index -> Cowboy Shooters & Black Powder
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldBear
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: 1858 New Army "Buffalo" Reply with quote

Finally got enough tuning done on the subject pistol and it shoots quite well. This is a reproduction I got three years ago and the tolerances were so tight that after a few (started out as 3) rounds the components heated up and the cylinder would not turn. Sent it back to the shop a couple of times without much improvement so just started shooting it until it froze up, then worked on it some more until the tolerances eased up where the heat of firing now doesn't bind up the cylinder on the shaft. Used 400-grit emery cloth on the shaft and cylinder axle shaft. Of course, watched closely that tolerances between the cylinder and barrel stayed tight since they never did get tight anyway under the heat of firing. Also watched that there was no cylinder slop developing from working on the cylinder shaft and the cylinder. Went from 3 rounds before freeze-up to 4, then to 5, then to 6, then to successive reloads.
Probably have close to 75 rds through it now and it shoots great, is comfortable to fire, and very accurate.
Don't know exactly why I related this, but maybe because at one time I was thinking of using it for decoration because it would not keep shooting after a couple rounds. Sending it back to the mfg. would have been a giant PITA, so decided against that. Glad I perservered, this thing is a very nice shooter. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index -> Cowboy Shooters & Black Powder All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: