Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index Box Elder Wildlife Federation
Sports Supporting Conservation, Registration required for entry, please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

22 LR Ammo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index -> Chuck's B-Log
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuckshoun
Wilderness Guide

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: 22 LR Ammo Reply with quote

Ever wonder why that new 22 LR pistol or rifle doesn't group well with your favorite brand of ammo? Well the pistol or rifle just may not like that ammo. Now, this may appear as a silly statement, but it's true. Rifles and pistols are as picky about the ammo they shoot as a woman is about the clothes she wears.

I have gone through a "Pick the ammo for this gun" with every rifle or pistol I have shot -- both target small bore and high power. I have found that every one likes a different 22LR ammo -- let's not get involved in playing God and try to create a load for the big bore stuff -- that's a Blog in itself.

There are some 22 cal pistols (especially) that just won't group well with a given brand of ammo. Reason? I was told when I complained to Neal Johnson in Colo Spr about the crappy groups I got with my Model17 (K-22) revolver, that 1985 was not a good year for S&W barrels. I got a box each of Federal Pistol Match, Lapua, RWS, Eley Pistol Match, and Remington Match (not the EPS Green box Eley they make now). I went to the Mantua range and sand bagged 50 rounds of each of them at 50 feet, using the S&W K-22. None even printed totally on a sheet of 8½ x 11 inch paper, except the Eley Pistol Match (Yellow Box). It printed a 3/4 inch group, all in one hole).

Now the Eley Yellow box is too hard to get, so I tried the Remington EPS Eley (Green box). I was able to shoot 50 shots into a 5½ dia target off-hand (slow-fire), at 45 feet. The other brands wouldn't even come close to that.

Also, I tried the sams Remington ammo in my Ruger 2245 w/ a 5½-inch barrel, and with some serious practice and a "glass" trigger, it would print the same way. I tried other brands in the Ruger 2245, and they didn't group near as well.

I will admit that the ammo that worked best cost some bucks more than Blazers and the CCI Mini-Mags for my guns, but the principle of trying several different brands to find out what your rifle/pistol will shoot best still applies. Maybe you'll be lucky on the first try, who knows?

Now, the Kimber 22 Target pistol likes Blazers, except the Blazers don't have enough recoil to reload a new round ( the slide "short-strokes). I found that the CCI Velocitors preformed the best -- had the energy to cycle the slide, and grouped well at 45 feet on a 5½ inch target.

So, if you are not too happy with the performance of your 22 LR rifle or pistol, try some different brands of ammo. Once you find one that satisfys you, stick with it, regardless of the cost. Shooting well is a lot more fun than shooting not so well. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index -> Chuck's B-Log All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: