Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index Box Elder Wildlife Federation
Sports Supporting Conservation, Registration required for entry, please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

44 Mag bullets/Load

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index -> Everything Reloading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PDZAPPER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: 44 Mag bullets/Load Reply with quote

I just picked up a S&W 629 classic in 44 Mag. I have not owned or reloaded for this cal. before. So after consulting the manuals and doing some reading I thought I was ready to start working up some loads,however I have run into a question I can't find an answer to in the books. The bullets availabe for this caliber are .429 ----.430 dia. Does it make any differance which one I use? Is it just a matter of which one my gun shoots best or are there certain firearm makes that shoot one but not the other?? Also does anyone have any thoughts about using Win.296 in this cal. I use this powder in a TC contender in .30 Herrett with excellant results, so I have a quantity on hand. Any help would be greatly appriciated.
OldBear
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 44 Mag bullets/Load Reply with quote

PDZAPPER wrote:
I just picked up a S&W 629 classic in 44 Mag. I have not owned or reloaded for this cal. before. So after consulting the manuals and doing some reading I thought I was ready to start working up some loads,however I have run into a question I can't find an answer to in the books. The bullets availabe for this caliber are .429 ----.430 dia. Does it make any differance which one I use? Is it just a matter of which one my gun shoots best or are there certain firearm makes that shoot one but not the other?? Also does anyone have any thoughts about using Win.296 in this cal. I use this powder in a TC contender in .30 Herrett with excellant results, so I have a quantity on hand. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

I reload for the same piece, and some of my bullets are Sierra 300gr at .430 diameter, and others are Hornady XTP 240 gr at .429 diameter. Both function well as far as I can tell. However, all the reloading references I have specify the .430 diameter size at every bullet weight, even the pages for the other calibres like .44 auto mag and another one that I don't do. I don't see how -.001 could make a lot of difference in a projectile that is grabbing the lands at +.001. Maybe the smaller diameter would result in slightly lower chamber pressures or something, but I sure don't know for sure, and since it's a wheel gun there is no problem with reduced pressures not cycling an action. If the manuals called for the diameter to be .429, and a box I had said .430, I might be a bit more reserved about using them because of concerns of increased chamber pressure from the tighter fit.
However, with the older S&W I think one should stick pretty close to specs and beware of hot loads in excess of what the reloading manuals specify. Some manuals will specify hotter loads than another (go ahead, compare two and see). But I'd stay within specs on the S&W for sure.

Maybe Rangemaster, Chuck, or someone could weigh in here...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index -> Everything Reloading All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: